If I were to share a sample of the thoughts that have been swirling around my head in the last week it would read something like this:
-Bubble spinner is awesome
-College isn’t too much fun right now
-Why am I taking 6 classes?
-Girls are dumb
-I love my housemates
-SJ club was sick!
-Really, ISAT hill…I want to punch you right in the dirt.
-I have no idea what I’m doing with my life
-I can’t wait to be done with this semester, year
In Genesis God names the first man “Adam”. The name Adam literally means “out of the dust” or “dirtman”. This week I’ve spent a lot of time feeling like I’m just that…dust. Both feeling like all the efforts in my life are not good enough and in the end pointless. I had a grade A pity party for myself in my head on the way around JMU’s campus last Tuesday. It wasn’t until Tuesday afternoon that God became very transparent in my life. It happened in a very likely place but in a very surprising way…Man Skool. Man Skool is a Bible study lead by Pete Hardesty and Jim Cunningham(two of Young Life Staff’s finest). The study consists of a handful of YL leaders from JMU who are all seeking to become Godly men. As we went around the group we were all talking about our lives and most of which had a similar thread…a mixture of bitterness and feeling hopeless. Two or three of us had spoken back to back about our weeks when it came time for Josh Barefoot to speak up. Foot gave me a glimpse of how simple and incredible life really can be. He spoke up and said
“We can’t ever really be doing that bad, we’re going to heaven, right?”
Boom…mind blown. Heart restored. Perspective corrected.
I get so bent out of shape thinking that my life is out of control and that everything is going to fall apart that’s when I need to remember one simple thing…everything is going to be ok. When the dust settles, God is God and He has my best interest in mind.
1 Thessalonians 5:16 is one of the shortest verses in scripture…it simply says, “Rejoice Always.”
That’s my goal to remember all that God has done in my life and to remember all the times I’ve freaked out about rent or school or work only to have God provide like he always does. He is good and he works for those who love him.
Rejoice Always.
1 comment:
This is real good man. I totally agree with you. It's so easy to lose focus on the most beautiful prize.
Post a Comment