A couple years ago, while volunteering at Young Life’s Lake Champion I had a dream that was simultaneously totally awesome and super weird. In my dream I was at Champion when I received a phone call from New York City saying that they were suffering from a zombie-unicorn apocalypse. In response to this apocalypse they needed the highly honed skill set of none other than Matt Chocklett and myself. The next scene in my dream was Chock and I riding Pegasai(whatever the plural of Pegasus would be…that’s what we were riding) across the Brooklyn bridge into the city. We had crossbows with arrows that when they hit the zombie-unicorns they explode into fire and ashes. The mission of shooting unicorns commenced and business was booming. One day, Chock and I were reminiscing about our ability to kill zombiecorns with raw efficiency when I heard the thundering “CLOP CLOP CLOP” of hooves coming down the hall behind the wall Chock was leaning against.
Before I could respond or do anything a twisted unicombie horn came erupting out of his chest, resulting in Chock contracting the zombie-unicorn virus. I then locked him into a glass room and swore that I would find the cure for zombie-unicornism. Then it’s pretty much the story of “I am Legend” from there on out.
Before I could respond or do anything a twisted unicombie horn came erupting out of his chest, resulting in Chock contracting the zombie-unicorn virus. I then locked him into a glass room and swore that I would find the cure for zombie-unicornism. Then it’s pretty much the story of “I am Legend” from there on out.
Two questions: 1. What is wrong with my brain that this is the result of my subconscious? 2. Why would I write that story on my blog? And what possible wisdom could I extract from this?
In my subconscious all I want to be is a hero, to be needed, to be the one to save the day.
Who is your hero? Who’s life do you see and have untold inspiration well up inside of you?
My girlfriend, Amelie told me once that John Wayne is her hero because “He is the only man who’s never let me down.” For me I’ve always had untold respect for these men, Jeff Guinn, Ryan Jordan, Rob McClelland and Carter Riner. They are men whose lives inspire me to be a better man in every aspect of my life. From the ways I love people in my life to the ways I love my family or even down to the way I spend my money they are men whose lives are worth imitating.
Whoever your hero is, I think we can all admit that there is something about them. Something about their lives seems to radiate vitality, freedom and redemption. Here is my assertion…
We are seeing their silhouettes…Christ’s glory is radiating all around them.
Paul has a simple and practical way of this followed by a beautiful reminder of what we are striving for. First, in Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians he says “Imitate me, as I imitate Christ” then in Philippians he says “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.”
Step 1. Identify the men or women in your life who “radiate” God’s glory, the people who’s silhouettes and clearly visible.
Step 2. Hang out with them, begin to imitate them as they are imitating Christ.
Step 3. Remember what is true, noble, excellent and praise worthy; focus on those things and remember how they are fulfilled in Christ and the life he gives us.
Warning:
First, from the perspective of the viewer of the silhouette. Remember; those people are still sinners and they are going to fall short of Christ in their imitation so don’t let it trip you up as you are imitating them.
Secondly, from the position of being imitated. It is VERY easy to buy into the lies of the enemy and for us to swell up with pride in being imitated. You cannot eclipse God, despite your trying, he is bigger and better and the source of all light…you’re just getting in the way.
So, may we come to recognize God’s radiance in each other’s lives.
May we grow in humility, learning to imitate Godly men and women in our lives.
God forgive us where we try to eclipse you or steal your glory.

No comments:
Post a Comment