I’m coming to a funny realization in my life. I was thinking this morning about how I want to write about more funny things that I’ve come up with so here goes.
There is a phrase as a part of my friend-mocking arsenal. This phrase is “Good hangin out dude.” Whenever someone says that they are committing to the hang then bailing to either go to bed, go out somewhere or the most unforgivable of bails…to hang out with a girl.
In February of this year my roommate Ernie began to date Hannah and this was met with lots of congratulations but they were masked with severe mockery and questioning of Ernie’s “commitment to the hang” and their loss of “edge”.
Ernie got wise to these tricks and tried to cover his tracks. The guys at the Ted(our house here on Roosevelt street) by this point in the winter had become professional Mario Kart 64 players. Ernie claimed that he had to go to bed early because “playing mario kart gets me too wound up and I need to sleep”
The reality of the situation is that Ernie was sneaking upstairs to either text or gchat Hannah late at night.
Busted.
Well….confession…I’ve recently started dating a girl named Amelie and she is the beeessst.
Thanksgiving was a great meal with turkey, potatoes and lots of Louisiana-based foods I can’t pronounce correctly but since I’ve been home I’ve been eating a pretty steady diet of crow.
Now that I am dating Amelie, this whole making fun of Ernie thing makes waaay more sense to me. Given the option of hanging out with the guys all the time or spending time hanging with Amelie…sorry fellas.
Here’s the point….I am an avid journaler and something that always makes me laugh is how when I look back through my journal from the previous year there is one sentence that comes to my mind.
“Wow…I had no idea what was really going on. I was a dummy.”
What makes it even funnier is that every single year I say the same thing to myself. At 18 years old I was so sure that I knew a thing or two about God and what it meant to be a follower of Jesus…at 19 I looked back and realized how far off I really was…sheesh, now by 23 years old I’ve come to a realization…I don’t really know anything.
This realization reminds me that I can’t ever take myself or my authority too seriously, it would be like a hammer laying claim to building a house. Also, humans sleep one third of their lives…how important can we be if we we’re asleep 20-30 years of our 60-90 years here on earth? Haha.
As I get older and come to know Jesus more deeply one reality continues to bubble up to the surface.
The older I get the more I realize how many apologies I owe the people closest to me.
As we draw nearer and nearer to Jesus and become to be more like his son we will be found out. Found out to be rebellious, disobedient and stiff-necked but God is in the business of using ragamuffins and rebels-turned friends for His glory. God is in the business of redeeming and commissioning.
Repentance is the appropriate and correct response to the revelation of our boneheadedness.
I owe Ernie many apologies for giving him such a hard time about Hannah
I owe Kellie, Jenna, Rachel, Carter, Kendall, Megan and Whitney so many apologies for them having to put up with a very boneheaded Jeremy of 18-23 years old.
I owe God such a repentant heart for thinking that I know what’s best in my life and for constantly getting in the way of what He is putting in front of me.
May we come to know that, in the end, we don’t know what’s best for us.
May we come to repent for our rebellious hearts.
May we learn to walk in humility learning that God is God and that we are not.
7 comments:
lame.
Sorry to do this to you, but do you even know that the phrase "good hangin' out" was invented to make fun of you? If anything, you should be apologizing to the Nort for all the time it was said to him.
Either way...good to know you don't wanna hang.
Wow, way to sound "above" your friends
Well, on the bright side, at least the bottom of this bus you've thrown us under is fairly luxurious.
What I was saying is that I owe all of you apologies.
I love you, man.
We are all in the same boat.... soooo wise until life and maturity wakes us. That is how God made each of us however - He has a plan. And we will never get it! Hence we are human and He is GOD. Good to remember - thanks.
Post a Comment