Sin is fun.
Do you agree? Few things are more fun to me than telling a good lie(a skill I have neither honed or have a particular prowess in) or making a joke at someone’s expense. The only thing that makes the joke better is if it is met with a roar of laughter.
There are other sins that we know are sins but we happily join in. Lust, pride, or using God’s name in vain, all of these are just as fun as the last. Time and time again we will chase after things in the name of life. We keep going to our sin because it's fun and in some small way we think 'this is real life'.
In Luke 24, after Jesus had been killed and was buried the Mary’s went to the tomb. They were destroyed; their friend, leader and hopeful savior had just been mocked, beaten and murdered before their very eyes. As they arrived at the tomb they saw it standing open with two men whose clothes looked like LIGHTNING (Parachute pants are sweet but lightning! Sorry Hammer). These two guys, later revealed to be angels, ask a question that changed their lives…”Why are you looking for the living among the dead?” They knew what Jesus had said; he was going to rise again in 3 days.
Why do we look for life from among the dead?
Sin is unbelievably offensive to God; we need to look no farther than the cross. God’s opinion of our preference for the created rather than the creator are made terribly clear in the cross.
The wages of sin is death. Sin isn’t meant to be fun, it is meant to destroy us. Jesus says that the thief (Satan) comes to steal, kill and destroy. His intentions are anything joyful.
My strategies for my sin are to either laugh about it or completely ignore it because if I’m honest…I like it.
I want to see my sin more like God does. I pray that God gives me the courage and boldness to trust him more than my sin. I think if we’re honest, we have our sin in a death grip and we are terrified to let go of it and truly trust that God really is enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment